Thursday, December 3, 2009

A trip to a museum

This will be short.  Only two more days and I will be going to the Taj Ma Garaj Banquet and Museum.  I have wanted to go here for quite sometime.  Every year around the end of May John Dixon, the owner of this and a foreign car garage on So. Dixie, holds a Taj Kruze Fest.  There are Porsche (and other cars) car exibits held at the Fraze, autocrosses held in conjunction with the local SCCA, a 100 mile driving tour, the new mini grand prix as well as dinner dances.  All for local charity, The Childrens Hospital.

The Porsche is on my top One list of cars.  The Corvette is on my top Two list.  Do I own either, no, can't afford to.  On a side bar in this blog is a picture of my Porsche Wannabe, my '02 Miata SE.  I also have a Vibe.  Not sure but it may become a collector car one day.  :):):):):):);{)  Not in my life time.

I did own a Porche at one time.  It was a 1956 356A coupe that I bought from some kid in Centerville, OH.  In order to get it home I had to put a 2x4 under the drivers seat and balance on this board as I drove home, there was no floorboard, rusted out....gone.  Breaking and clutching weren't great while doing the rocking balancing act.  This didn't last long, looking down between my legs and seeing the asphalt go by so closely, because I couldn't keep the car running that well.  It died about 2 miles homeward bound.  Fortunately I took a friend along that was driving my truck and we towed it another 13 miles or so, right through Dayton.  No license on it, passing the local police in Kettering, Oakwood, Dayton and Englewood.  There's pictures of it in the blog too.  Not too good, taken with an Instamatic 126 or something like that.  Did get the car running absolutely flawlessly but not all the electric.  Sold it.

Now, retired and fending off the Delphi bankruptcy, a Porsche or Vette for that matter or pretty much out of the question.  But, I have my camera and I will travel to events where Porsches can be seen.  I'm hoping to do the P2O (Porsches 2 Oxford) in Oxford Ohio next summer.  You can google P2O and see some great shots of cars lining the streets of this little college town, home of the Miami University.

Not to be ignored, along with getting in with a donation to the Epilesy foundation, I will get a ticket to the local Packard Museum.  Another place few people know about.  Dayton has a very strong history in the auto industry.  This part of the mid-west has a tremendous history in the manufacturing of the automobile.

No comments: