Saturday, March 8, 2008

Blizzard of '08

I'm glad I'm retired. No need to go out in this. Thirty yrs. ago we had the blizzard of '78. I remember it well. I had played a late hockey game. It was raining and I had to stop at the UDF ( United Dairy Farmers) to get milk. When I came out it was snowing big flakes. I traveled about 2 miles to the edge of town and the roads were getting slushy. Another 4 miles down the road and the my speed had dropped. As I turned right to go north on Rt 49 I put the truck in 4 wheel drive. By this time the road had all but disappeared. Three more miles and I was in the garage. I got my gear and went in to see if there was anything on the news. I had grown up for about 11 years between Maine and South Dakota. I just knew this was a blizzard. Sure enough they were calling for a super low pressure drop. I went out to the kennel to get our two Malamutes, Lobo and Shanna. The next day all you could see of their 6' high kennel fence was the top 6". The dogs, they just loved it. You couldn't keep them in. They would go out, bury their heads and go to sleep.

78's blizzard was much worse than this one, at least in this area. It went on for over 24 hours. Where we were located they couldn't get to use until the Air Force came up with their snow blower for the runways. A semi was found buried 1/2 mile from our home at a junction of 5 roads. It looked like one large snow drift. The drive, he got out and into town somehow. Our road was only one mile long but it was the only thing with power the whole time. The road 1/2 mile north or south lost power for several days. We had a month old baby, Stephanie, that all the neighbors evidentally knew about because they kept checking in on us on their snowmobiles. We had only been their since Sept. so we didn't really know anyone.

I'm ready for spring. I need to do some gardening. I'm retired, I'm not suppose to play in snow, just watch it at Olympics time. It needs to be TDW, TOP DOWN WEATHER. The little car is itching to be driven. It's autocross time. Where's Summer?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: