Sunday, February 1, 2009

Something to write about

Well, it's been a week since the opening of the racing season and I am still just as excited now as I was before the Dayton 24 Hour Race started. Brumos is back. They were so close last year. All the hoop la with Jimmy Johnson, Danica Patrick and some for Jeff Gordon doesn't even begin to make the standing of the name of Donahue. I said Brumos is back but the real biggie is the name Donahue in the winners circle. I started watching and reading about Mark back in the late 60's. I have watched and waited for the day that son David would take his place in racing history and that happened on Jan. 25, 2009. I watched from the beginning to the end taping, of course, the parts that I needed for sleep. It was one of the best finishes I have ever seen and if anyone was watching and left before the end without a good reason then, just too bad for them.

I have listed in my profile that a good read is the book "The Unfair Advantage". I use to keep some of Mark's quotes posted over my desk for various reasons of encouragement or motivation. Now, I think I will revisit the book, not for the work needs as I'm now retired but more for the enjoyment and life in general.

We can talk about the Unser's, Petty's, and Andretti's, these are all great race families but the second and in some cases third generations didn't have to get to their level without the help of their fathers. David did and in a very fine way.
One last comment is that you don't have to always turn left to race. What with all the gossip and turmoil in NASCAR, the new IRL/CART and F1 the ALMS and Grand AM series might be the only place to get good racing without someone trying to screw with the points systems.

Enjoy the pics below.
























No comments: