Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

My favorite day of the year, holiday wise, has come. I use to enjoy the Macy's Day Parade but that has changed over the years. They need to call it something else. What, I don't know, they changed it, let them figure it out.

I marched in the parade four years in a row with a drum and bugle corps called The Miller's Blackhawks. We practiced for weeks before hand, took the train from Dayton, OH to NYC and then were up at 3 AM the morning of the parade. We had to be in uniform to do a one time run through in front of Macy's at 4 AM. Then we would go by bus to Central Park to stand in the cold and wait to get started. But, like televised footballs of old, no matter how hard you practice to look your best for mom and dad to see you, you get cut for someone giving you play by play of stuff you just watched in a football game or you get to see someone perform that is on a stage that was pre-recorded in all probability and definitely NOT in the parade. So, the parade isn't worth watching because like everything else, it's all about them and not the parade participants.

Today is the day my wife goes all out for and I don't believe it is her favorite day. I will admit, it is a lot of work. I try to help buy am usually in the way. I'm allowed to chop the onions and celery for the dressing. I can mix the dip and I get to carve the turkey which is fixed the night before and then re-heated for simplicity of cooking all the other stuff on Thursday.

On thing the wife does is put out a nicely decorated table. Once you see it, no matter what your mood may have been, it will change. Here are some samples, click on them to enlarge.



No comments: